The official website for the Virginia Judicial System provides useful information about the court system, official court forms in PDF format and instructions, information system about civil and criminal cases, and more. 


The Virginia General Assembly provides a copy of the Virginia Code online . The Code is organized into "Titles" that cover broad subject areas such as Title 18.2 ("Crimes") and Title 46.2 ("Motor Vehicles"). Each title is subdivided into Chapters, Articles, and Sections. Laws that are codified often become chapters. For example, the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (VRLTA) has been codified as Chapter 13.2 of Title 55. The site also provides access to the status and text of proposed and enacted bills.

The website provides a search engine for searching the text of the Virginia Code; however, you need to be careful in how you use the results. The engine will provide you specific code sections that contain your search terms, but the results won't reveal whether those sections actually apply to your specific situation or not. For example, if you searched for "security deposit", one of the hits would be code Section 55-248.15:1 which, in part, generally requires landlords to return security deposits within 45 days. What is not revealed is that Section 55-248.15:1 is part of the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act and that Section 55-248.5, which is also part of the act, exempts many rental situations from the requirements of the VRLTA. So if the house you were renting is exempt from the VRLTA, the 45-day rule in section 55-248.15:1 probably doesn't apply to your situation.

While reading the Virginia Code can be useful and informative, you should always consult an attorney if you have an actual legal issue (in other words don't try to self-diagnose by using Google instead of going to your health care provider).

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website may not be current or valid. You must not rely on the information contained here without first speaking to a licensed attorney. Always speak to a licensed attorney regarding any legal issue you may have.